Wednesday, August 1, 2012

To Increase or to not Increase..that is the Question

My favourite classes in high school were the ones that had a limited amount of people where not only can you gain more attention from your teacher but you also become closer and more comfortable with your peers in the class. I think a smaller classroom appeals to most people because you feel more free to express your opinion amongst a small group of people opposed to a class full of 30+ students.

I believe that smaller classes are a good idea as there are a lot more opportunities for a student to get their one on one time with their teacher and be better focused than say if there were 30 people surrounding you and half of them not paying attention. Although I am sided with smaller classrooms, I will always remember my English teacher in high school who although we had a classroom of around 30 students managed to always keep us attained and learning. It was so obvious that my teacher loved teaching and that made me really interested in learning what she was talking about.

Having said that, I do believe that teachers play a strong role in whether students are learning/getting enough attention in their classes whether big or small because I have been in many situations where a teacher can keep a large room full of students quiet and paying attention. I do however think that a smaller classroom is in fact a desirable way for students to feel more comfortable and to gain the attention that they deserve and to stop being distracted from the students who do not want to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment