Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Celebrating Culture In Sport

 As the mother of an Aboriginal child and a proud Australian that lacks an interest in sport, I must admit I'm a little torn about Damien Hooper's "statement".

From the perspective of the rules and regulations in sport, I believe that Mr Hooper done the wrong thing by "NOT" wearing his complete uniform. The UNIFORM is a symbol used to allow spectators to differentiate between competitors and there respective countries / teams. It would be a little confusing, if say... NRL players, turned up wearing different combinations of colors and styles.

Would it not? 

In this sort of situation he should of improvised and maybe just sewn a large patch, depicting his flag to the original uniform specified. It's still against policies but at least it would be respectful of the current patterns that signify our country. If I was an athlete and wanted to display my heritage I would have to wear the flag of several different countries. Australia is a MULTICULTURAL country and if every Aussie athlete done this, no one would know whose who and which country they belong to.

From a political aspect... I believe that Damien chose the perfect moment to make a statement such as this. After all the more people that become aware of your plight. The more recognition and debate will arise. He claims that it was not a political stunt, that may very well be the case. But in the end he knew from previous athletic "statements", that he would spark a very controversial and public discussion.

From the cultural side of his actions, my hat is off to him... he was very brave to risk his possible achievements by defying the Olympic Committees Guidelines. To show respect for his heritage. I think that Aboriginal Australians Should have every right to fly their own flag... just like Cathy Freeman did...

As representative's of the "Australian" Olympic "TEAM" I believe that Aborigine's should wear our countries recognized colors.... but I strongly think that as a nation with such a rich history, they deserve the right to represent their culture...

This all brings up the debate of whether or not the Australian flag should be altered and modernized, to better fit Australia's true nature and identity. I grew up with the flag the way it is... but I don't think that it is appropriate, the Union Jack does not represent our culture as a whole.... and I understand why the Aboriginal community is so highly offended by being forced to compete under the symbol that represents a very sordid and violent past...

No comments:

Post a Comment