Friday, August 17, 2012

The media is a business, not a public service.

Each time there is a murder, shooting or anything remotely dangerous the media have this habit of bombarding their audience with vital 'updates' on a breaking story….that happened a week ago.

No, I don't care that the Aurora shooter was seen at a McDonalds 3 days before the massacre (Yes, that was an actual headline on Channel 7). Is he still on the loose going around shooting people? No? Then don't show me a fucking picture, unless there is a threat to the general public I don't need to see him.

Another thing that really annoys me about the media's coverage is that they use the bloody details to lure an audience. Why should it matter if he killed 5 or 50 people? He still killed someone, he still walked into a cinema with the intention of killing, the fact that his aim was off shouldn’t make him any better or worse than other murderers.
That being said, I'm not opposed to a body/injury count being included, however I feel that it is terrible to use that type of information as part of the headline.

Of course, the only reason why the media includes this information is because the public get more curious, and this curiosity is what keeps the media in bussiness . "10 dead bodies found in school" is a much more intriguing headline than "10 cadavers misplaced at medical education centre".

But I guess the point I'm trying to get across is that any news story is like a penis, sure you can show it off on occasion but  don't go around shoving it down people's throats.



3 comments: