Friday, September 14, 2012

love isnt about gender



An issue I've alway felt strongly about is gay rights.

 
When I was 15 I meant the most amazing person I think I have ever met in my life. At first I had a feeling that he might have been gay but living in a small town where everyone knows everyone’s secrets he kind of just kept to himself to avoid confrontation. One day I went to go visit him and he had the biggest smile on his face, he finally came out and admitted he was gay with his boyfriend by his side.

Later that night we were visiting some friends, but some not so friendly people were also there who did not accept his new status. After everyone got a few drinks into them things started to get a little bit out of hand and this incredible guy that everyone used to love became this punching bag for all the dickheads in the room.

In the end he had to move his life away to a different town just to be safe! Ever since he came out he has been on the run ever since just trying to find a place where he can be accepted.

People shouldn’t have to run from who they are! When I watched the GetUp video on ‘its time’ it reminded me a lot of my friends story, just a guy living his life with someone he loves wanting things to change.

Since 2001 only eleven countries have begun to allow same-sex couples to marry. One in three heterosexual marriages already end in divorce by now it should be pretty obvious that it’s not same sex couples making marriage a joke!

It’s about equality and basic human rights.
I can talk for hours about my passion to equalise same-sex marriage but these people say it better:


Videos’s and Articles used:





1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's pretty powerful, Amy.
    I agree with you, love shouldn't be gender-restricted. And stigma over gay relations is so outdated. I hope society changes it's ways soon, for your friend and others like him.

    ReplyDelete