Sunday, October 28, 2012

Quality over quantity, please




Small class size vs. quality teachers.
Both variables are highly important and, ideally, both would be in place at the same time. But often this is not the case and it must be one or the other.

Smaller class sizes mean more classes, more teachers, and as a result, a lower standard of teaching.
These smaller classes have the advantage of less distractions and more one-on-one help from the teachers. But what is the point of this if the teacher is sub-par?

Larger class sizes mean fewer classes and fewer teachers, which means more effort and money can be put into ensuring the best quality teachers are hired. A good teacher can be extremely advantageous in a student's life, and pave the way to a rewarding career.

The opposition education spokesman Christopher Pyne states that 'Australia's education system is not attracting the best people to the profession', and 'there is no evidence that smaller class sizes somehow produce better student outcomes. In spite of Australia having small class sizes for 10 years... their outcomes have gone backwards.'

In my opinion, both smaller class size and quality teachers are equally important, but if we were to pick one to work on first, it should be improving the quality of teaching.

I have had a couple of exceptional teachers in my school years, and it is these teachers that inspired me, made me push myself and realise my potential, and actually made me learn and remember the subject. I believe quality teachers are invaluable in a willing-to-learn student's life, and that more time and effort should be put into ensuring more of them are hired.

No comments:

Post a Comment