Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Doesn't everyone have bigger things to worry about

It's called the sporting arena, not the sporting, politics & ideology arena. I don't watch sport, but if I did I would just want to be entertained, not forced into an internal debate.

That being said, what Damien Hooper did is apparently an issue, and as to whether or not it was more positive or negative, I am divided.



   + On one hand I respect Damien's courage and pride in his heritage, but then again who doesn't love a rebel? Another thing to consider is that most Australians have an in-built sense of guilt and sympathy towards the Indigenous people. If he was from another country I doubt we'd be on his side.

   - On the other hand he broke the rules. Rules are rules. If there are no rules we have anarchy. And anarchy isn't nice. Damien's issues with the uniform should have been addressed before the fight.



In the end what it comes down to is stepping back and looking at the bigger picture: is it really that big of a deal? No. Was anyone hurt by his actions? No.

My last thoughts on the matter: if no one was allowed to express their opinion ever, the world would be a very dull place.

No comments:

Post a Comment